Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My scar tells a story

When people look at my scar, some wince, some gasp in surprise, but none know that my scar represents more than an 18-inch incision. It represents my story, my battle, and my victories. At first I would not look at my scar, but now I look everyday, not only to make sure it still looks good, but to remember how far I have come.

Today I am 5 weeks post-op. It has been a very difficult past week, but I'm already feeling a bit better this morning (save the burning sensation in my leg from nerves waking up and my right shoulder). This week I am hoping to get out of the house and go for a walk in the arboretum. I miss the lakes and I miss downtown. I think it would do a world of good for my mental state of mind. Plus, the weather has finally cooled down from the upper 90s. Ick.

My father is leaving at the end of this week as well. We have been blessed in that family members have been here since June 1st to take care of me while my husband works. I admit I'm afraid to be left on my own, although I bet I can do it. My father is building a little bar device by my bed so it will be easier for me to get up and down. Yay for fathers!

Well, it is time to start my day and go for a walk before the thunderstorms roll on by! Perhaps later when I have more energy I'll expand on how my scar tells more of my story.

1 comment:

lynne said...

I could-nt look at my scar for over a month....very creepy....
Ironically,my son screamed yesterday when he could see some of it when I was in a swimsuit...he scared the hell out of me!! & I covered up..for his sake. I guess everyone is still a bit sensitive on the subject, even at almost a year past now. It does get better, week by week, hang in there....it is a rollercoaster of a ride, though..Lynne