Saturday, July 14, 2007

Every little thing I do . . .

. . . takes effort. I'm doing much better than I was last week, but sometimes I still get frustrated and cry because I have to think about every little thing that I do that I took for granted before. I have to think about how I walk, how I sit, how to get up and down out of bed, how to turn, how to reach the faucet, how to reach and grab anything, how to get in and out of the car, how to brush my hair, etc. There are also the things that I can't do now, which I constantly wonder how I will be able to do them when I get even better, such as turning on the shower. These things are so simple and yet most of us completely take them for granted. We don't have to think about how our bodies do these things until we've lost what we once had.

I know that as each day and week goes by I will gain more mobility and independence. The frustration for the most part is temporary, but the pain in my left leg and the upper right part of my back is just making the frustration worse sometimes. Wow, who knew it would be so painful for nerves to wake up?

On a happier note though, the other day my father drove me to one of the lakes where we took a short walk and had ice cream. I would have to say that it was one of the best days since surgery. I love the water and even if the car ride was somewhat difficult, being by the water did much for my emotional state of being (plus the ice cream on a hot summer day by the lake rocked)! I'm glad it is the weekend because my husband is home and now that my family members have left, I get lonely (although I got a lot of reading done yesterday). I think we're going to try to go for another little outing today to get me out of the house and see the real world.

My best friends from high school who have stood by me every step of the way since the beginning of my scoliosis are flying out here in 2 weeks to see me. I'm really lucky to have such friends and I'm so excited to spend a long weekend with them (especially since it doesn't hurt as much to laugh anymore, and I'm sure there will be a lot of laughing going on)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice cream by the water...that sounds like a great day to me.

lynne said...

me too....Ly