Thursday, March 22, 2007

teaching

So, I'm a graduate student. I've been teaching my own class of undergrads for the last two years, and next year I'm a TA for some class in the music history department. However, the TA the faculty assigned me requires 4 hours of teaching in a row and my advisor is concerned for my physical well-being at 3 months post-op. Now I feel like I'm causing all these problems in the department even though I know having surgery is not my fault. I hate being a burden and making people readjust their schedules. I'm frustrated. I know I would do it for someone else if they were in my position, but it is safe to say that people have a lot of misconceptions about scoliosis and don't understand the size of this surgery.

Of course, I think I can teach for 4 hours in a row, but my mind has always been stronger than my body - that is one of the ways you live with constant pain.

No comments: