Monday, October 16, 2006

Love your body day

So apparently this coming Wednesday is "Love Your Body Day." Just thought I'd share . . . Not that this is really a well-celebrated holiday in the US, but it says a lot about our culture. . .I won't get on my soap box about that right now.

I do have to say though that I spent my teenage years hating my body. I didn't hate it because of "normal" teenage reasons, but because of my scoliosis. My junior year of high school my doctor made me stop dancing, which is something I had done since I was four, and I remember crying in my bedroom all weekend. (I did manage to take up some dancing in college again). I don't hate my body anymore, and I actually think all of this contemplating surgery has made me come to appreciate my body more and more. I certainly don't like scoliosis and wish I didn't have it, but I do and that is that. Scoliosis has taught me a lot about life, but I think I'll save that for another blog as well. It is getting late.

Anyway, as my husband says, "Honey, you're the curviest woman I know!" Ok, my curves aren't all in the RIGHT places, but what the heck - all of us scolio women (and men) should celebrate "Love Your Body Day." We've got more curves than the rest of them (and hopefully more curves in the right places post-op!!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it...but I'll take it. Kind of like National Bosses Day, which was apparently yesterday. I had to run out and buy a cake for my boss.

We Americans will celebrate anything.