Thursday, September 07, 2006

One of us. . .

There is a woman named Dawn. I do not know her. I don't know how old she is, where she lives, what she does, or what her hobbies are. So, why am I writing about her? She is one of us - one of the elite members of the scoliosis club that must undergo a serious spinal fusion. Yesterday was her surgery. I found myself constantly thinking back to her during my day and praying that her surgeon was doing well and that Dawn would come into recovery with a successful surgery. Dawn is one of those of us who are especially "lucky" (not really) to have to undergo 2 surgeries (one anterior and the other posterior) in the matter of 3 days. Well, her loving boyfriend did email our scoliosis forum and Dawn did have a successful sugery. She seemed to be at peace when she awoke, only to be followed by screams of pain which left her boyfriend in tears.

So, some may still ask - why do I care so much? Why do I myself cry when I think of a woman I don't even know laying in her hospital bed hooked up to contraptions galore? I'm one like her. I'm a member of that club and not many people can understand this surgery, but those of us who do feel the pain, the fear, the anticipation, the utter sense of relief when it goes as planned, the worry of the family, the love of all our supporters, and the hope and the strength that I sincerely hope Dawn feels as she enters recovery. I can hear those screams of pain, but I know those will die away as will the years of suffering and pain - but it is not a quick fix. We all must dedicate our lives to our recovery, not just weeks or months, but always.

Some friends don't understand why I would need to do so much research on my surgery. Why do I need to think about it. It is surgery - just go do it and get it over and done with. Not so - this isn't like my last surgery where they just removed my lump and my thyroid. This is one of the most difficult surgeries one can do and until you've walked in my shoes, in Dawn's shoes, and in all the shoes of those who I've come to admire so much through my "scoliosis group" people won't realize what this all entails.

Dawn - you won't be reading this right now, but I'm thinking of you as you enter "phase 2" tomorrow. You, among the other scoliosis patients who have gone before us" are my heroes. I hope I have the strength like you.

No comments: