Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I don't understand

Like one of my blogger friends said, I can't go into details over this blog, but let me try to explain how I'm feeling in a vague way.

Many of us are very very privledged women (and men, but this is about women), and many of us take way too many things for granted and feel like we are entitled to way too much. It doesn't seem fair that women sit around complaining about not being thin enough, or other trivial things in life, when there is just soooooo much abuse happening to women all over the world. . . of course the US is included. However, I heard a story today that breaks, no shatters, my heart into a zillion pieces. My new friend is from another country and she lives here in the US working on her PhD right now, and is trying to seek asylum for some very very very good and heartbreaking reasons. She is perhaps the strongest person I have ever met, and morally I can't relay her story, especially over a blog.

I know that there are so many women who are in terrible situations, and some people will say, "oh that is horrible, but what are we going to do?" I feel so utterly powerless and want to believe that this country will make the correct decision about her future, but when you know someone who is in such a tough position--you actually look in someone's eyes and know that the legal system holds power literally over their life--what else can you do? What can I do? Why are people so selfish, so greedy, so inhumane? Where is the justice?

Why am I still in music? I feel like I should be going out and doing something for human rights. I just don't understand how we let our fellow humans suffer so badly. Why is everyone a spokesperson for God, instead of God Him/Herself? Why should religion cause such conflicts? I'm not actually seeking answers here, but just venting the great mysterious unknown questions.

Good, innocent, beautiful women around this world are being so badly abused, and killed each day. What can we do about it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is such a horrendous injustice. I heard someone (I think it was Oprah) say "if you are a woman born in the U.S., you are one of the luckiest women on the planet." That really got me thinking. If I was born in India or Iran I could have been married off at 13. If I were born in other parts of the world, I could have no voice, no vote, no freedom, no sense of self worth. I realized in that instant, how very lucky I am. Not just to be born in this country, but to be born here in the year I was born. As a woman of color, it wasn't that long ago that many of the freedoms and priviledges I enjoy today would not have existed for people who look like me.

Man's inhumanity to man. Unfathomable isn't it?