Monday, April 23, 2007

ranting of the day

I was on the bus on my way home today when an older man decided to verbally attack a group of teenage girls right in front of me. I won't repeat what he said, but it seemed to come out of the blue for no apparent reason. We were all in shock and I was trying to think of what to do when he stepped off the bus and said if we said anything he would slap us in the face. The poor girls were frightened, and then they got mad. I told them they should report this, but how are you going to catch the guy when he left the bus and went out of sight? I took a good long look at his face and have to figure out what to do if I see him again. I am so angry and so saddened by this incident. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Why can bad people get away with these things? Where's the justice?

Then I get home and receive an email from a problem student who wants to meet with me to explain what a difficult time he is having this semester. He didn't come for the exam today and skipped out on his presentation. Quite frankly after the VT incident and because I've caught this person in lies before, I don't trust him. I don't think he is crazy or anything. I guess I'll have to tell him that this is a difficult life lesson. When faced with struggles, which we all go through, we have several options on how to handle our lives and what choices we make, and unfortunately for him, he has made the wrong ones. I have another student whose mother passed away this semester (a complete tragedy) and is handling life much better. The whole thing is just stressing me out. I'm sure he will try to appeal to my more nurturing, feminine side, but that is just not going to work. My syllabus is quite clear, and I don't tolerate this kind of behavior.

And my final rant . . . this is the last week that I don't have anything scheduled for my surgery. Next week I start blood donations for 3 weeks in a row, and then I have some pre-op appointments. Eeeek. Oh, and my mom was hospitalized last night, but is doing ok now. It was just a colon infection, which antibiotics will kill, but I was scared.

One more rant (apparently the last one wasn't the final) . . . I tried to get some earrings converted to clip yesterday. (I had my ears pierced and then they got really infected and I haven't got them pierced again. I want to, but obviously right before surgery is not a good idea, but I needed these earrings for my sister-in-law's wedding). The lady in the store starts hounding me about not getting my ears pierced now, which leads me into a brief explanation that I'm having surgery this summer. She asks what surgery. (I guess I don't mind a complete stranger being nosy). Then she asks, "Will you be ok?" My answer: "I better be." What kind of question is that. What was I supposed to answer, "no, I'm doing this because I don't think it will help. . . " enough sarcasm.

That's all for now. This week we celebrate my sister-in-law's wedding. How exciting. I'm thrilled to be with my family (especially since there are so many Hokies who need hugs). I'll hopefully have exciting stories to share, as well as funny and probably inconsiderate things family members say about my upcoming surgery. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great time at the wedding and yes, do report back!