Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

Sorry for the cliche, but it is appropriate. Today I pulled up into a handicapped spot, as I do everyday on campus. One of the profs came up to me and said, "Hey, do you know that you parked in a handicapped spot and could get a fine." I looked at him and said, "Yes, I do know I parked in a handicapped spot and if you look at my car you will see the handicapped placards hanging from the mirror. I had a spinal fusion and am recovering." Well, he felt REALLY bad and just tried to keep digging himself out of his very deep hole. He said, "Oh, let me hold the door for you. It is the least I can do." I rejected his "kind" offer. Oy - people are weird. Yes, I'm not in a wheelchair and I am not going to pull up my shirt so everyone can see my scar. Why do people make stupid judgments like that without any information. He didn't even bother to look if I had a handicapped placard. He just made a split second judgment by looking at me. I feel kind of bad for him because he is utterly embarrassed, but hopefully it taught him a good lesson.

So, three days ago I woke up with a sudden onset of vertigo. It turns out that I most likely have an inner ear virus that should go away in 6-8 weeks. Guess I just always draw the "lucky" health card. I don't ask for much, but I hope 2008 will be much calmer with lots of good health.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

That professors actions are kind of a mixed complement. You must be looking great for him to think there is nothing wrong with you enough to have a handicapped park... but at the same time, that ignorance of what it is like to have a mostly unseen disability is frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I find this title to be most appropriate. I am 12 weeks post-op from my third fusion this time to the sacrum and I use to feel bad about having to use a handicapped placard or parking in a handicapped space because I always felt that there were others who were more handicapped. While I'm only driving very short distances at this time, I have gotten the "look" from others when I park in the handicapped spot.

I also relate to the "unseen" disability comment because many of my coworkers don't understand everything that I have been going through with my surgery and recovery, but I WON'T be parading my scar for them to see to validate my situation. I'm proud of my scars and always say my scars have a story. Keep updating!

LJ