Sunday, November 04, 2007

5 months post-op

Tomorrow I am 5 months post-op. Wow. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to believe I've already made it this far. In many ways I am doing better than I expected, and in others I get quite frustrated. I still have pain, which is to be expected after such a large and grueling surgery. I got pretty down the other week because my lower back pain that I had before surgery returned and I thought, "What did I do all this for?" I think (I hope) it was just a phase, or I may have over-extended myself . . . or something. I can't freak out at every pain I get. I started pool therapy and that is going well and hopefully helping. It is too soon to tell, but I enjoy being in the water, even if I can't actually swim yet.

I'm working quite hard now and my husband is in the midst of taking his doctoral preliminary exams. NO fun! He has 10 days at home to complete the written portion before his oral exams, which means I'm trying to stay out of the way as much as possible. I also feel bad asking for his help when he is so busy, but I'm sure he understands.

My father is coming here for Thanksgiving in a few weeks and I am excited for him to see how well I'm doing now. The last time I saw him was 1 month post-op! Wow, how things have changed. I'm looking forward to the rest and the cooking.

2 comments:

lynne said...

cIt just gets better & better! youare doing great! Lynne

Anonymous said...

You sound like you're doing great! With winter starting to settle in here in Madison, remember to be careful on those icy sidewalks around campus. I'm another Madisonian, like you, or do we say 'sconcey'? I can't remember what the college kids call us.
Take care, Maurene