Thursday, June 28, 2007

Can and Cannot

I'm just over three weeks post-op. Three weeks ago I basically could not do anything by myself. Here is a brief list of things that I now can do and those things that still frustrate me because I cannot do them. I'm sure with my progress the "cannot" list will diminish.

Cannot:
Turn on the bathroom faucet
Flush the toilet without using my cane
Wash my own hair
Get up and into bed by myself
Drink without a straw
Sleep longer than 2 hours
Laugh because it hurts so badly that it makes me cry
Wear more than my three comfy surgery outfits
This list would be a lot longer if I included everything I can't do that I had already expected, but why bother adding all of those?

Can:
I got in a car and rode 5 minutes to the mall for the Bath and Bodyworks Semi-Annual Sale!!!!! Woo hoo. The car ride hurt, but was so much easier than the car ride home from the hospital. I wouldn't do it everyday, but it was LOVELY to get outside for a little bit!

Reach the bathroom faucet (but not turn it on)
Take my robe off and put it on by myself
Move my tray table
Eat ice cream
It is easier to turn myself over on the bed
Sit up a lot longer
Type at the computer
Walking a bit faster
Walk around the house without my cane
Touch the top of my head and sort of brush my hair
Eat ice cream (yes, I know I already wrote that, but now you see how important it is to me) :)
Hold up a magazine to read it
Ingest less pain medicine
Walk almost the length of the park (no one really knows what it means, but trust me, it is a lot longer than I could walk one week ago)
Sleep a little better
Bend my head forward and to the sides a little bit more
I'm sure there is more, but it is now time for dinner! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first few weeks a full of little triumphs. In a week or two you'll have plenty to add to your list of can's

lynne said...

Hi! I just caught up on your blog!
I definitely remeber how much it hurt my stomach to laugh! Of course, I was not laughing much at the point in time where you are...I was a complainer says my mom...I normally am not like that so assume it was the drugs changing my personality!
I remember my firat trip to the mini mall with my sister, Kath....I was soooo slow & had to sit down while Kath got some thkyou cards & gifts for me...I felt like a 90 yr old...you'll improve 'week by week' It seems long & boring while you are starting out but then you look back & see how fast it has all gone....Lynne